Kittens rescued from electricity substation
27 July 2016
A stray cat and her three kittens are recovering from their ordeal after being rescued from a live electricity substation where they had been sheltering.
The kittens were rescued by volunteers from Cats Protections’ Cambridge branch and engineers from UK Power Networks after one of the kittens came dangerously close to high voltage electrical equipment.
A local gardener first raised the alarm after spotting the kittens trapped within the six-foot high walls in Cambridge. After contacting Cats Protection, Cambridge Branch Coordinator Niccy Townley made contact with the power company and was joined on site by the engineers.
"I managed to catch the mum cat very easily, but because the kittens were not used to people they were very wary and difficult to catch. Two of them dashed inside the substation and at that point it became very dangerous as they were very close to a high voltage area."
"The engineer arranged for the power to be shut off but there was a very tense wait until this happened. All the time we were keeping everything crossed that the kittens didn’t move. If they did, they would have certainly been electrocuted."
Thankfully, the kittens stayed still and were rescued quickly. Thought to be around 10 weeks old, they were promptly named Sparky, Flash and Joules while their mother was named Elektra by volunteers at the branch.
Niccy added: "We’re so grateful for all the help from UK Power Networks. It’s really heartening that they went the extra mile to make sure these kittens were safe."
To find out more about adopting Elektra or her kittens, please call 01223 528312. All our cats and kittens will be flead, wormed, vaccinated, neutered when ready and microchipped. We ask that potential adopters can offer a loving home with cat flap access to a safe garden.